Friday, 23 January 2015

Who am I and what am I doing?

Bit of a background on my self and what I'm hoping to do with this blog.  My name is Paul Fairbairn I grew up around the Scottish Borders and Berwick upon Tweed area.  I did my undergraduate degree at Leeds Metropolitan University, and my masters degree in Public Health Nutrition. I am currently studying a PhD looking at the effect of omega 3 and physical activity on mobility and cognition in the elderly.  Nutrition is my passion!  The food we eat has a huge impact on our health and physical and mental performance.   I'm pretty active I enjoy my sport, I am by no means a good athlete but I enjoy training and am always striving to improve. 

In the UK we have a real issue on our hands: obesity, diabetes, heart disease, stroke impact the lives of thousands of people each year.  2010 statistics for England, 72,000 people suffered an acute myocardial infarction (heart attack).  This is a worrying statistic since poor diet and lifestyle is associated with a higher risk of heart disease 2012 BHF Report - Coronary Heart Disease.  On top of this we have so many people struggling with body confidence and body composition issues.  Just a couple of recent statistics: "Almost one quarter of children aged 10 – 15 are unhappy about their appearance,""50% of women feel under pressure to look good at all times and 46% of women feel under pressure to lose weight," Body Confidence Campaign 2013 Report.

So what I want to do with this blog is spread a message about good nutrition. There is a ton of information online and in the media, regarding nutrition and dieting.  I know from when I first started becoming interested in the topic it can be ridiculously confusing and overwhelming.  So I'm going to explore some of the science behind nutrition, tackle common misconceptions and generally just ramble on about food.  I am a huge proponent of single ingredient whole foods, and just generally enjoying and experimenting with good food.  I have never done anything like this before, and this may be evident in my writing (ie it may suck at times), but I'm hoping by reading and writing more it can only get better.  

I am by no means an expert I am still constantly learning about nutrition.  I have made a ton of mistakes with my own nutrition, and have been through a nutritional journey of my own.  I'm finally just about happy with the direction I'm going, and know I am on the right track.  Nutrition is something I can genuinely see myself devoting the rest of my life to learning about.  So I definitely don't have all the answers, and probably never will, but that wont stop me in my pursuit.

 "Correct a wise man and he will thank you for it. Correct a fool and he will hate you for it". I am always accepting of critique of my work. As I have said I am aiming to use this as a learning opportunity for myself, so feel free to leave comments and feedback.
If you found any of the content interesting, please give it a share on social media.  Feel free to follow me on twitter I've only recently got an account, and as I write this I have 1 follower.  I think if I get a few more it will encourage me to interact with it a bit more and share interesting health and nutrition related stories and studies.  My handle is @P_Fairbairn.  




No comments:

Post a Comment